There’s a first time for everything. For TRB, this Easter marked a very big first – an attempt to make the famed Italian Easter treat, Pizza Rustica. To fully appreciate how this came to pass, here’s the back story: TRB‘s sister requested the meat and cheese pie after learning that a friend, who makes it as part of an annual family tradition, had decided not to go ahead with the endeavor this year. Instead, she found the Cake Boss’s recipe, sent it to TRB and the rest is (now) history.
Here is a full chronicle of TRB‘s adventure in Pizza Rustica:
1. Combine 6 cups of flour with 1/4 tsp of salt.
2. Cut 1lb. of butter into the flour and salt mixture.
3. Knead the flour and butter mixture until it forms a smooth dough. Add ice water, if needed. Form a ball and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for 3o minutes.
4. Cut the meats, provolone and mozzarella cheeses into 1/4-inch dice.
5. Combine the meats, provolone, mozzarella and 2lbs. of ricotta cheese with 1tsp. of pepper.
6. Remove the dough from the refrigerator. Roll out 2/3 of the dough to line a 10×15-inch baking pan. Fill the pan with the meat and cheese mixture.
7. Roll out the remaining 1/3 of the dough to cover the top. Wet the edge of the bottom layer of dough with a little water. Crimp the edges together to seal. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and brush 1 large beaten egg over the top. Bake for another 45 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely to serve.
What did you bake up this Easter? Post a comment.
Best sister ever! The finished rustica was superb! xo style, she wrote
I really like your site. Will keep checking back here. Bakery Equipment
Thanks so much!