Who doesn’t love S’mores? Rich chocolate and gooey marshmallows piled between crunchy graham crackers… it’s the perfect snack for a camping trip. But, here’s a secret – TRB isn’t a big fan of camping OR S’mores, mostly because camping involves being outside with bugs (yuck!) and S’mores are super messy to eat.
So, the question becomes how to enjoy this tasty trio without the resulting sticky fingers… Well, why not make a cookie?
TRB drew upon the beloved Toll House recipe for this latest creation. The result? Delicious cookies that are easy to eat, and with all of the goodness of a S’more baked right in. The trick, of course, is to add the marshmallows last and watch as they get all toasty and brown in the oven – just as if they had been roasted over an open fire. Now, this is TRB‘s kind of camping.
Campfire Cookies (Yield approx. 40 cookies)
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt (Kosher salt works well)
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened (TRB uses salted)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 tbsp. vanilla extract (TRB’s secret weapon #1)
2 large eggs
3/4 of a bag of Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (TRB‘s secret weapon #2)
1 package Graham Crackers, crumbled (TRB likes Honey Maid)
Mini-Marshmallows for topping
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Beat butter, sugars and vanilla in a large bowl until creamy. Add eggs one at a time, incorporating after each addition.
3. Combine flour, baking soda and salt in another bowl and gradually add to the batter. Stir in chocolate chips and graham cracker crumbles.
4. Chill dough in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. (This will help your cookies to rise, as the butter bakes up better cold).
5. Drop rounded teaspoonfuls of dough onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
6. Press 3 mini-marshmallows (or more, if you’d like!) into the top of each cookie.
7. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheet, then move to a wire rack to cool completely.
Are you a S’mores fan? Did you try this recipe? Which do you prefer? Post a comment below.