And, since nothing says “Mom” like apple pie, I’ll be making MY Mom’s all-time favorite — an Apple Crumb Pie.
For the Pie:
1 frozen pie crust (such as Oronoque Orchards)
6 Granny Smith Apples (organic preferred)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
For the Crumb Topping:
3/4 stick of butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
5 tbsp flour
1. Take pie crust out of freezer and set aside onto a small baking sheet.
2. Wash, peel and slice apples very thinly.
(TRB Tip: I find it easiest to cut around the core and then slice very thin pieces – about 1/4″ thick – diagonally. This also makes the presentation of the pie very attractive).
2. Mix apples, cinnamon, sugar, flour and cornstarch in a large bowl.
3. Pour the apple mixture evenly into the pie crust.
4. Prepare the topping: Melt the butter for around 45 seconds in the microwave. Add brown sugar and flour. Consistency should be paste-like and slightly crumbly.
5. Spread topping over the pie, making sure to cover evenly.
(TRB Tip: A pair of clean hands works best here).
Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes, until topping is golden brown and apples appear juicy. Allow pie to cool before slicing. Top with whipped cream, if desired.
Tried this recipe? Let us know how it turned out. Post a comment.