TRB was mighty skeptical about this recipe, having found it in Mom’s copy of The Sugar Solution Cookbook, the whole premise of which is to help you lose weight by maintaining your blood sugar at a consistently low level. But at just 141 calories and 2 grams of fat per serving, you will not believe how much flavor this Brown Rice Pudding packs.
How good could brown rice taste in a pudding, you ask? Trust TRB, dear readers, it does. And, hey, if you can eat delicious rice pudding AND still lose weight, how much more could you ask for?
Brown Rice Pudding
(As featured in The Sugar Solution Cookbook; serves 6).
1 1/4 cups of water
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
(TRB Tip: Add a little bit more; the lemon really brings out the flavor in this dessert and it is simply amazing!)1/4 tsp salt (kosher preferred)
1/2 cup brown rice (not instant or boil in bag)
3 cups 2% milk
(TRB Tip: You CAN use 1% or skim milk, if preferred; just reduce the measurement to 2 1/4 cups).
1 tbsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp packed brown sugar
1. In a large saucepan, combine water, 1 1/2 tsp of lemon peel and salt. Bring to a boil and add the brown rice. Reduce the heat and simmer (covered) for 40 minutes or until rice is tender and most of the water has been absorbed.
2. Stir in the vanilla, milk, brown sugar and remaining lemon peel. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 40 to 45 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent sticking, especially toward the end of the cooking time. The pudding will thicken and the rice will be very tender. (It will thicken even more while standing).
3. Pour pudding into a bowl and let it cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
4. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight (or for at least 4 hours) until chilled.
(TRB Tip: Place the plastic wrap directly on top of the pudding to avoid a skin forming on top as it chills).
5. For a tropical twist on traditional rice pudding, add chopped mango or papaya and shredded, sweetened coconut before serving.
Enjoy your rice pudding – guilt-free!
Did you try this recipe? Post a comment.